Saturday, April 26, 2014

Chapter 4 [B] : Building Doors

*****

NK waited for Khushi to say something , and she did. But never in his wildest dreams had NK expected his chhoti to say something like that.
“Do I look like a wh*re right now Bhai ?”
“What ???”
“I’ll repeat myself. Do I look like a wh*re right now ?” Khushi’s face was absolutely expressionless.
“What the hell are you saying chhoti ? Are you out of your mind ??” NK was furious.
But Khushi didn’t react to his anger and instead continued with the same poker face.
“The clothes I am wearing right now….are they provocative or...or slutty ?”

Nikhil Kapoor never in his life had felt such rage at his dear little sister. In the past 10 years that they had know each other , it had always been silly little fights and chases but the anger he felt today was a first for him. He held Khushi by her shoulder shaking her.

“Stop ! Just stop Khushi ! Are you listening to what you’re saying ? How can you think…and say something like that ??”
Khushi jerked his hands off herself. “That is not what I think Bhai. That is what you cousin thinks !!” Khushi hissed. “Yesterday too I was wearing something like this. My worn out bugs bunny top which looked like nothing but a sack and a fu**ing pair of pink flowery pajamas ! How could he even think that i was a..."
NK closed his eyes in frustration. He knew Khushi needed time to sort herself out and she deserved it. He took a few deep breaths and spoke.
“Khushi each and every word you said is true , absolutely true. I wish I could change how things happened but I can’t. And all, I can tell you is that Arnav is really , genuinely sorry for his mistake. And he sincerely wants to apologize to you.” NK looked at Khushi who seemed to have calmed down again.
“His apology won’t make me forget the nightmare I went through.” Khushi said softly.
“But it’ll make you both feel better Chhoti. It’ll help you move on to some extent.” NK said stroking her hair again.
“I guess….but I need some time. I’m not ready to come face to face with him right now. Seeing him reminds me of…”
“Its alright chhoti. I understand. Take your time. I’ll talk to Arnav too.”
Khushi nodded.
They suddenly heard Garima calling them out for lunch. NK shouted in return that they were coming. Khushi got up and went to the washroom to wash her face. As she came out , NK opened the door of her room to head out , but suddenly stopped and turned to Khushi.
“One more thing Khushi , I hope you trust me that much to know that I love you very much. If Arnav is my cousin , then you also are my sister without being related by blood. If I care about him , I also care about you the same way and maybe more.”
For the first time in the past hour Khushi smiled, Genuinely. And nodded. “ I know Bhai. I know. ”

xxx

NK after having a delicious lunch and Hugging both Khushi and Garima , left and took the stairs instead of the lift to his floor.
Entering his apartment , he found Arnav in the living room.
They talked.
Arnav apologized and though NK was still angry with him , he calmly told him about his conversation with Khushi and how they should wait for the right time to which Arnav had simply nodded in agreement.
NK then remembered that Arnav hadn’t eaten anything since last afternoon and felt bad that he had had lunch at Khushi’s place when his cousin was must have been hungry.
Arnav denied being hungry at first but NK stubbornly ordered food from a nearby restaurant and made Arnav eat all of it.

xxx

Days passed with things getting slightly better. It had been 2 weeks since the fiasco had taken place.
Khushi was gradually moving on from the incident and had started looking for a job.
But on the other hand there was a huge change in Arnav that was noticed by NK. Arnav had completely stopped drinking. He went out for jogs regularly , when at home , he would just lie down in his room deep in thoughts . Arnav of course knew the reason behind this sudden change in him.
He felt restless. He wanted to meet Khushi and apologize. He had no idea why he felt so desperate. Of course , he had made a huge mistake , but why so much restlessness ? Khushi had told NK that she needed time….but it had been 2 weeks dammit !! Every day in the past 2 weeks he tried to be out of the apartment hoping to meet Khushi and that was also the reason why he avoided drinking . He just didn’t feel like drinking. And these days he had started feeling tired too. And thus most of the time he was able to get some sleep without consuming liquor .

Today , it was a Sunday and NK was home. He had forced Arnav to sit and watch a crappy hindi comedy movie which was so lame that Arnav had almost dozed off sitting on the couch.
NK looked at his cousin and sighed.
He had noticed the restlessness in Arnav. He was pleasantly surprised noticing the changes in Arnav. He now felt hopeful about his cousin. 
He had also been in constant contact with Khushi all these day…but they had somehow always avoided about talking about Arnav. Khushi he had observed was in a much better stated now….and he was happy that things were falling into place.

Suddenly , there was a knock on the door. He walked to the door and opened it , and was shocked to find Khushi standing there.

“Khushi ?” He didn’t hide the surprise in his voice.
“ Hi Bhai !! I…I have come here to talk .” Khushi said.
NK didn’t need to ask Khushi what or who she wanted to talk about and to.
He nodded and gestured her to come in. He saw her taking a deep breath as she walked in. Khushi entering was greeted by a shocked Arnav who was sitting on the couch,  looking at her with his mouth slightly open and eyes wide.
Khushi was instantly reminded the incident she had tried to block from her mind all these day and she dug her nails in her palms to control her breathing which seemed to be escalating with every passing second.
Arnav on the other hand was dumbfounded. He had been utterly desperate to meet her , but now that she really was in front of him he felt himself tongue tied. So many times , he had rehearsed in his mind about the things he would say to her as an apology , but they all simply swooshed out of his mind at this moment.
So he instead stood up , only to see her flinch and step back a little. He could see her trying hard to be brave but failing miserably. Her eyes were not making contact with him , and he wondered why. He was the one guilty here , then why was she looking down ?

“Khushi…” he started . “ I won’t harm you .” He was shocked to hear his own words. He should have said sorry first right ?
But his words made her eyes snap looking into his directly. And somehow it now looked calmer. He sighed and continued.
“ I have nothing to say in my defense. What I did was….inhuman. And I am genuinely sorry for my deed. I apologize to you for the hurt I have inflicted upon you…physically and mentally. I know there is no way I can make up for what I have done but I want you to punish me in any way you would like .” Arnav finally did what he had wanted to do from such a long time.
A heart-felt apology to a person he had wronged.
Khushi was silent. She didn’t know how she should react .
His words sounded true but more than that she was amazed at the sincerity in his eyes.
Arnav with bated breath waited for Khushi to say something….and felt nervous seeing her silence.
After all, how easy would it be for a girl to forgive her assaulter ?
Khushi took a deep breath before she spoke. “I forgive you. I…its…I don’t know why but I guess its because I want to move on and close that chapter of my life forever , never to revisit. And about the punishment , I am no one to punish you. You realize your mistake and are genuinely sorry….that’s sufficient." Khushi’s voice seemed tranquil yet stern.
Arnav let out the breath he was holding. He couldn’t believe it was done. Now what ?
“ I…thank you Khushi. I know its not easy for you but…I just…Thanks a lot.” Arnav was actually surprised at how smoothly it all went.
Khushi gave a small smile and nodded.
Both Arnav and Khushi felt as if a heavy weight was lifted off their hearts , making them feel at peace.
“ So now that its all fine…I think I should be going.” Khushi said .
“ Arre Nahi ! Not so easily. Now that all is well , ek cup chai toh banti hai ha ?” NK’s chirpy voice made them jump slightly. .
Both Arnav and Khush had completely forgotten about NK being in the room.
“ No bhai , I should get going now. Ma will be…”
“ Aunty won’t say anything and if she says something , tell her that you were with your NK Bhai !” NK said authoritatively. “I’m not hearing anything.”
Khushi sighed. “Achha fine.”
“That’s like a good girl.” NK grinned.
Arnav thought that Khushi might feel uncomfortable at his presence ,  so he decided to go to his room. He silently turned but was stopped by NK’s voice.
“And where do you think you’re going ?” Nk raised an eyebrow.
“ Uhh…I’m going to my room.” He said trying not to make his reason obvious.
“Oh c’mon Arnie my bro , Stay here for tea yaar. Me and khushi , we aren’t cannibals , so won’t eat you up. Right Khushi ?”  NK winked.
At Khushi’s nod , NK told them to sit on the sofa while he excused himself and went to the kitchen to make tea for them , not letting Khushi join him in the kitchen
He walked to the Kitchen dialing a number on his phone. He knew what an awkward situation he had created for the two people in his living room but he had to do it.
As soon as the person he had called answered , NK spoke.
“Step 1 – Completed !”

-------

It has now become a ritual right ? Me being late in updating and apologizing , whining about being busy and stuff. But this time I have no excuse.
The reason for this delay was that I was having a hard time writing this. This chapter is very important and special for me .Only I know how many times I have written and deleted .
But I am extremely apprehensive about how it has turned out to be.

And also this chapter is like really, really long and I hope it has made up for the delay.

Thanks
Nikita


3 comments:

  1. brilliant update !!! so finally things are sorted out between arnav-khushi.. khushi is great that she forgive arnav however it was not so easy task.. whom did NK called ??? loved the update..


    thanks for pm

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice update
    cant wait to see what happens next

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting with bated breath for this chapter. This FF discloses frames with each chapter. Who was NK calling? Was it Arnav's family who care about him and what him to move ahead in his life. He is into matchmaking that much is certain. Your writing style is to the point and controlled. Would love to read more of your work.

    Take Care.

    regards,
    MoonlightAura

    ReplyDelete